Friday 3 April 2015

Holiday Challenge

Keep Your Learning Switched On These Holidays

Hi Year Five,
I have a holiday challenge for you.
Choose one of the rooms in your house and find the area of it.

Remember what you learned in class about area.
You need to measure the length and the width of the room. Then multiply them together to find the area. When measuring in metres we record the answer in square metres or m2.

Use the area model to prove your answers. 
The length of a room was 684metres and the width was 5metres. I split the length into three smaller rectangles. My first rectangle had an area of 3000 square metres. I worked that out by 5x600. My second rectangle was 5x80=400. My third rectangle was 5x4=20. To find the total area I added all the totals together. The total area was 3420 square metres. 3420m2  

Bring your answers in after the holidays. There is a blue sapphire to all students who bring in a correct answer and evidence of the area model.
Have a great holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment